Sunday, April 6, 2014

Down Under – 3/15/14 – Great Barrier Reef / Underwater videos

Last night we checked in at Peppers Beach Club Resort & Spa at Palm Cove. http://www.peppers.com.au/beach-club-spa/ and proceed....to dinner of course.

Major topics of conversation revolve around the various ways that we can die on the barrier reef and Mark is an authority on all ways...even the various drivers delight in telling us how we could pass on.  Jellyfish are the main method and there are big ones and microscopic ones that can kill you.

http://cairnsdiveadventures.com/reef-info/cairns-jellyfish/

In the morning we are picked up by the bus and we have a 45 minute ride to Port Douglas where we will depart on the Quicksilver cruise ship. Things to do in Port Douglas  Quicksilver Cruises

*** lots of movies later on ***

On the bus

We arrive at Port Douglas and head for the dock to board the large aluminum Quicksilver boat...it holds over a hundred people.  Once on the boat it starts an hour cruise out to the dive site where they have a permanently attached structure for diving.

Up top
Jack, John & Mark planning our next move

I talked John into going diving with me.  The last time I did a scuba dive was almost 30 years ago...I was PADI certified.  Unfortunately because I was on blood pressure meds they would not let me dive without a doctor's note.  Bummer.

So instead 4 of us decided to do a helmet dive.  This is where you put a helmet on and air is fed to you.

Signing up for the helmet dive
We arrive at their structure and it's massive.  Virtually everyone signs up to rent these full body lycra suits that protect you from the jellyfish...we were sufficiently scared off from diving without one.

Now all of these photos and movies were taken using my new GoPro camera.  I have been intrigued by all the unusual movies people take with this tiny camera so I decided to experiment with one.  It's housed in a waterproof container so there is not much sound.  Overall I was quite happy with it.

The movies I am posting here are unedited but as I learn more I will edit them and re-post.

Suiting up

Suiting up
 Video of group putting on the anti-jellyfish suits

Underwater viewing stand

Divers showing off a sea cucumber
The Helmet Dive

So Mark, Jenny, John and I signed up for the helmet dive.  Basically you put on a plexiglass helmet that they pump air into and you walk down some stairs under the water...sounds simple, huh?

Underwater video of me watching others helmet dive.

Now it's our turn to get ready...the first step is to put on some weights so you don't bob to the surface.

Video of us putting on the weights

One by one they plop a helmet on your head and you walk under the water.

Video of Jenny walking under the water

Then it's my turn...I get the helmet on and start to walk under the water and I notice that the water is up to my chin...and I start to get a bit uncomfortable.  Unfortunately as I get older I have developed a bit of claustrophobia sometimes.  So I head back out of the water and after a minute I head back down.

Video of Jack heading underwater

All 4 of us are underwater and this interesting video shows the tremendous variety of fish that will gather around when they chum the water!

Video of Jack, Jenny, Mark and John Helmet Diving

Video of us climbing out at the end of the Helmet Dive

Video of Jack snorkling, fish, divers, etc.

Returning to Port Douglas

No comments:

Post a Comment